What is the Firearms and Hunting Safety Course?
Prior to submitting your application for a NSW Firearms Licence or Minor’s Permit, you will need to pass a Firearms Safety assessment.
The course comprises of both a theory and a practical component. The theory part is a closed-book multiple choice test consisting of 30 questions (adults) or 10 questions (minors). The pass mark for the theory 83% (25/30) for adults or 70% (7/10) for minors. The practical assessment both adults and minors must complete all 18 tasks provided by the trainer and obtain a pass mark of 100%.
To book please click the link below:
You will need to create an account with Service NSW via their website and complete your application online (click here). Once logged in, click ‘Apply online’.
1) Select ‘new application’ and fill in the fields that will appear below.
2) Upload a copy of your Firearms safety training certification; this would have been given to you at the completion of your course.
3) To use IHC as your Genuine Reason for obtaining a licence, select ‘Recreational Hunting/Vermin Control’ as well as BOTH Category A and Category B (these are your rifle types).
4) Choose ‘Hunting Club Membership’ and enter the information found below:
Principal hunting club name: Illawarra Hunting Club
Hunting club approval number: See confirmation email
Hunting club membership number: See membership card
5) Please save a copy of the Membership Card embedded into your membership confriamtion email and upload with your application as proof of membership.
NOTE: The Firearms Registry will apply a mandatory 28 day waiting period to you application (plus processing time/postage), once approved you will receive further instructions and a photo advice in the mail.
How do I apply for a Minor's Permit (between the ages of 12 and 18)?
Download and complete an Application for a Minor's Permit from the NSW Police website via this link, as well as a Minor's Firearm Permit Legitimate Reason Form. These are then both posted off, along with proof of idetifcation and safety test accreditation to the Firearms Registry.
Game Hunting (R) Licence
Click this link to be taken to the DPI website and create a new application.
1) Under “Licence Details” select Restricted Standard from the drop down list, this type will allow you to hunt game on both private and public land.
2) Your “Categories” will have defaulted to “No”, change these to match your R Licence Accreditation certificate provided by IHC (Firearms, Bows, Dogs, Black Powder).
NOTE: If you do not yet have a valid firearms licence, you can still apply for the firearms category but can not legally hunt with firearms until you hold a valid firearms licence.
3) Native Game Birds is a separate assessment and provided only by the DPI. Do not tick unless you have previously completed a Water Foul Identification Test.
4) Approved Hunting Organisation will be Illawarra Hunting Club, the R-Licence Accreditation Number is the red number on the top right corner of your accreditation certificate and trainer number will be hand written in the middle section.
5) Please save and upload the digital membership card found in your confirmation email as proof of membership.
6) Once completed and licence fee paid to the DPI, they will send you a confirmation email. On first login to the DPI website, you will need to complete two additional online modules on Written Permissions and Navigation before booking your first hunt.